Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ride the Boat

Untitled

The one piece of advice Marc gave me repeatedly before going to the falls was, "Take the boat". Back when he traveled to the falls it was a different place and there were only boat tours from the Brazilian side. Now they offer them on both sides. My first order of business when I arrived into Puerto Iguazu was to secure a space on the boat tour and once I got to the falls I immediately checked in. Just for future reference - the price is the same regardless if you book in the tourist office, your hotel or at the falls. And the boats run every 15 minutes all day so there is no need to rush it.

Untitled

Regardless, I booked the "Grand Adventure" and got on the first trip of the day. In hindsight I didn't need to book the grand adventure. The Grand Adventure just adds a bus ride through the jungle and a longer trip up the river, but the time you spend in the falls is the same. In fact, you pick up the other people who booked the smaller falls trip up the river. That's where I met Sue.

Untitled

Sue was the Canadian I followed earlier in the day and she took a spot right next to me on the boat trip up the falls. We took turns taking pictures of each other at the base of the falls and laughed about getting lost earlier in the morning.

Untitled

The boat trip takes passengers up one artery, allowing for pictures, and then up the other, again with time for pictures. Then comes the call to stow your cameras and other valuables in the waterproof bags they provided. And you better heed their warning because you will get wet. They gun the little Zodiac-esque boat you're in and drive you right up to the base of the falls on one side of San Martin Island. It's a rush. I swear I had a mini heart attack because you get the sensation that you might be sucked up under the falls at any moment.

Untitled

Then they take you back round the other side of San Martin Island and do it all again under another set of falls. It's one of the most thrilling things I've ever done in my life. Totally worth it. Even though the whole experience only lasts about 15 minutes.

Untitled

After the boat ride, Sue and I hopped onto the ferry to San Martin Island to explore. Here we saw more amazing views of the falls from a different perspective, but we also saw some wildlife, up close and personal, including some inquisitive birds and an armadillo. Sue also introduced me to her friend Linda, who I remained with after Sue went to grab some coffee.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Later, Linda and I met up with Sue again and battled some friendly, but fearless Coatis who tried to run off with my bug spray. These little buggers, close to a raccoon, hang out in droves near every snack bar, stealing tourists scraps.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Linda and Sue had a bus to catch so they sprinted up to the Devil's Throat with me, where I remained after they took their leave. The Devils Throat is a 1100m metal walkway that takes you out across the river all the way up over the top of the Devils's Throat. Lots of tourists here but you can see why. It's spectacular and the whole time I couldn't help but wonder how they constructed all these paths and if anyone died in their creation. Morbid, I know, but they're incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!